The Texas A&M Health Science Center (TAMHSC) Rural and Community Health Institute (RCHI) is a health extension center offering programs that promote safe, effective health care practices. RCHI serves as a bridge for health care professionals and their organizations with academic centers, policymakers and researchers to improve the quality and safety of patient care.
For some small community or rural facilities that may find it difficult to produce certain programs and services on their own, we provide simple solutions. We offer a variety of quality and patient safety programs, including peer review through case-based learning, benchmarking, assessment services, and database management and analysis. Additional programs include opportunities for continuing medical and nursing education.
The mission of RCHI is to improve access to healthcare and reduce disparities in health status and outcomes by improving the quality and safety of healthcare.
The vision of RCHI is to be recognized as a premier health services support organization that maximizes safe, effective, quality health care.
Expand (extend) educational opportunities to all RCHI constituents.
- Conduct educational webinars and/or conferences
- Develop interactive website to enhance communication and promote education
- Establish reference library and post to website
- Increase emphasis on patient safety and quality of care
Impact health care quality and patient safety policy by providing stakeholders and decision makers with timely, accurate and relevant information.
- Provide access to and interpretation of relevant information regarding safety, quality and effective patient care
- Increase legislative awareness of RCHI programs and activities
- Impact healthcare policy in Texas
Research and Grants
Develop a research team that produces translational research to improve health care delivery services and contribute new knowledge to health services research.
- Bridge and partner with academic institutions
- Expand research capability
- Become a nationally recognized and accredited physician assessment center
- Increase national recognition as a PSO
- Expand patient safety and quality-of-care research capabilities